Friday, July 20, 2012

MUSIC INDUSTRY IS MORE ABOUT APPEARANCE THAN ACTUAL MUSICAL TALENT!

There are so many artists out there that have absolutely no talent but is somehow selling PLATINUM records just because they have the right look. Although they are lacking talent their work ethic is through the roof. This just goes to show you hard work outweighs talent, especially in the music industry today.

 I don’t think most artists that are coming out are doing what it takes to have longevity and become legends. They are looking for that one hit to put them on top for the moment rather than sharing a message and guiding their fans into something positive and uplifting . They may come out with 1 or 2 song then all of a sudden they disappear. For example the rapper Soulja Boy, his YouTube video went viral for his song “Crank That” and that’s how he got his fame. He came out with a few songs but now he’s nowhere to be found. I think the industry is so induced into making money rather than making good music is sad. I understand that it cost a lot of money to put out an album but I don’t know if I should blame the record label for allowing this debauchery to occur, or to blame the media for brainwashing young people into being like these artist but calling it “being yourself”, or if I should blame the young people for believing it.

I think music videos are important to sell records. For me, sometimes when I’m not to sure about a song when I hear it on the radio first and then I see the video and can piece together the meaning of the song I end up liking it more.

Underground artist can potentially gain more fans by putting out music videos. The problem with that is there aren’t many television stations where you can watch music videos. We do have YouTube but if you don’t know about the artist chances are your not going to look them up there.

Since the distributions of music videos have shifted to the Internet, mobile devices can change the whole game up. We might see a poster with our favorite artist and be able to scan a bar code that will lead us directly to the video. Music video apps will be where most people see videos.

In my opinion I would say producing music videos is more important in Hip Hop. Hip Hop artist mainly like to show off all this money, cars, and clothes. They like to make it seem like that lifestyle is how they live everyday. I think ego plays a big part in it.

DO YOU THINK THE MUSIC INDUSTRY IS MORE ABOUT APPEARANCE OR MUSICAL TALENT?

No comments:

Post a Comment